Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does The Google Desktop Really Put Your Privacy In Risk?
06-27-2018, 02:32 AM
Big Grin Does The Google Desktop Really Put Your Privacy In Risk?
The greatest concern appears to come with the capacity to search and share multiple computers with one account. In other words, you can use an individual desktop search account to search, index and allow you to share files between your desktop and notebook for example.

But are these problems grounded in reality? Is there a really privacy problem here?

I do...

There's been a lot of talk recently about Google Talk and how there are serious privacy concerns with the new application.

The biggest issue appears to come with the capacity to reveal and search multiple computers with one account. Put simply, you can use a single desktop search account to search, index and enable you to share files between your laptop and desktop for example.

But are these concerns grounded in truth? Can there be really a privacy problem here?

The other day I downloaded and installed the newest Desk-top Search beta. It has some interesting new features such as the power to remove systems in the sidebar and dock them anywhere you want on your own desktop.

And there are numerous more cells offered to allow you to do anything from manage what is indexed, to passing time by winning contests.

One of the greatest features is its ability to reach beyond the desktop it is onto do a variety of things. Now, I can play tic tac toe with co-workers, and on occasion even friends around the world. Identify extra resources on this affiliated URL - Click here: clicky.

But the most troubling, and largest upgrade to some is the capability to remotely index files, in addition to discuss them using Google machines to temporarily store those items.

By turning this feature you give Google the best to keep your files for 1 month. Therein lies the core of the matter there seems to be no way for this 30 day necessity.

All I've to say is 'so what'?

So imagine if you have to give this capacity to Google? Google can encrypt the information so that no one else can get access to it. And even if there's some sort of DOJ subpoena requiring use of these records I don't think it'd stand up in court.

This is because Google has create a community whereby all of your Google actions are linked with one Google account. Your personalized website, gmail, google adwords, stats and adsense accounts all share the same Google account. Consequently, it would be hard for anyone to obtain a subpoena to review data regarding only a part of that account.

Laws away, if you are that worried about the privacy being surrendered to Google in order to make use of this system then do not sign up for it.

You can still acquire and use the new Desktop Search with nearly all of its new capabilities, but you do not have to use the file-sharing.

But what if you would like to share files between computers?

Well, do what used to do go to your chosen electronics store and buy a thumb drive. To get a second standpoint, consider taking a gaze at: ftp basecamp. I just bought a USB flash drive with more than 2 gigs of storage for less than $100. Now I can easily transfer anything between any computer without worry of some government agency wanting to know what's about it.

As I explained, I do have the newest Google Desktop fitted, and I did consider the options for the search and file-sharing, but I did not turn them on. I've no need in order to look my desktop computer from work and vice versa, nor do I need to share files between the two computers.

And if I did, I will just use the FTP site I've put in place on the computer at home or even the aforementioned flash drive.

Actually, as it pertains to all the different ways that Google captures your own personal information, from search history to Gmail, must we be all that concerned that some documents may turn out to be stored on the Google server somewhere?

I believe we ought to have other concerns. Should people need to discover extra resources on clicky, there are many databases you could pursue. For instance, I think we must be concerned about what Google already knows about us via these services I mentioned early in the day.

I think business people must be concerned that this type of service will allow workers to easily steal and move information to and from work.

I believe if you're that scared of-the US government infringing on your privacy then you shouldn't have a account, nor Google Desktop Search nor a Gmail account. The truth is I do not think you need to have any Internet reports because quite honestly many people are a target for the DOJ. Further, I can almost guarantee you that your local ISP will collapse and hand over the information easier than Google will.

Therefore before you start complaining about how Google might infringe your privacy, remember that YOU have the capacity to stop it from happening. It is just a matter-of choosing to take action..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply